peace is of me

Thursday, December 5, 2019

Journal Entry from 5.20.11 | Reminder



May 2011

I vaguely remember a quote that I once heard or read. It goes something like, “a true master recognizes that he has nothing to prove.” Although I can barely remember the words, the meaning of that quote sits comfortably in my mind. Mainly, because in this sense… I felt as if I fell far from being a master. So, I took this quote to meditation.


After sitting with these thoughts, I found out some deep truths. As much as it bothers me to admit it, I find myself always trying to prove myself to this world. I understand that, in a way, you have to prove yourself to make it through life. Whether it’s proving yourself to your family, your teacher, your boss and so on. It’s just when I do this- proving to others- I always find myself unsatisfied or too conscious of mistakes I may make. When you get caught up in proving to others it can make you feel as if your always trying to compete. Life is too challenging to be a competition and I just don’t want this for myself. Not only can it put a tremendous amount of pressure on you, it can also steer you away from what you want for yourself. I can’t focus my energy on what everyone else wants for/from me, especially if I’m still trying to figure out what I want for myself.

The point that I’m trying to reach is, I want to find this peaceful place where I only try to prove myself to myself and my God. These are two priorities I cannot let down. When the world has left you or when you leave this world, it’s only you and God... as one.

This idea needs not to be confused with being selfish. Not for one second am I comfortable with the idea of being selfish. It just means that while I’m on my journey, I cannot be driven by satisfying the crowd. To me, this is true mastery.

No comments:

Post a Comment