peace is of me

Monday, November 9, 2015

Update: Africa is the Future


Today, I read a headline that made my day. I learned that Gambia introduced free education in all public schools for primary and secondary levels. 

I had the opportunity to study abroad for two summers in Gambia. During my studies, we had a chance to volunteer with the public school system, where I learned the need for education funding. Many families struggled to to find money to cover expenses, resulting in students not being able to attend school. When I returned in 2011, my friend Nikki and I put together a program to help support Gambian students with school cost. I made a post requesting sponsorship for students and received a good response. We were able to personally go talk to the families and schools and pay their fees with the donations we received from friends and family. We met so many promising and bright students and teachers with more passion for education than I've seen until this day. Most primary students already knew 4 languages, including English, and were really advanced in Math and Science. 

This grant is a part of an initiative to lower the cost of education throughout Africa. According to the United Nations, "school fees consume nearly a quarter of a poor family's income in sub-Saharan Africa." Recently, Nigeria also abolished their fees. 
                                 








No comments:

Post a Comment