peace is of me

Thursday, November 5, 2015

Adjusting. 11.6.15


I'm six months into my contract. So far, it has been strange, but mostly exciting. I've had a couple of fresh starts in my lifetime. I've uprooted and went to unfamiliar places where I didn't know anyone and vice-versa, so I didn't expect my move to South Korea to be seamless. I know the high and lows of of starting fresh. I know the struggle of meeting new friends as an adult, finding your way around a new city, and the abundance of solitude you're met with; which can all be exciting. Surprisingly, I didn't imagine it being as uncomfortable as it can sometimes get. I've heard many versions of the saying that speaks about the necessity of getting outside of your comfort zone in order to grow and I can see truth in it, but the hindsight I have from being outside of my comfort zone makes me question it. I understand the need to be curious about the unknown, but I guess the lesson I currently letting settle in is the importance of staying connected to the people and and things that keep me grounded. In the past 6 months, I have been flooded with new things. I've been meeting new people from all around the world and adapting to a new culture, all while staying current on American news and learning new things about our history and broken political system. As I write all this out I think my takeaway is to remain outside of my comfort zone, but do a better job of staying balanced. Stretch myself, but don't wear myself too thin. This is not an epiphany, but more so a reminder that you can be curious and content at the same time. It's cliche, but all wanderers really don't have to be lost. Stay connected.

(Ullueng Island, South Korea)
          


(Ullueng Island, South Korea)
(Ulleung Island, South Korea)






No comments:

Post a Comment