peace is of me

Friday, January 23, 2015

Never Met a Stranger

A few months back, I had a very special encounter with my now-friend, Cedric. I was volunteering at Hurt Park in Atlanta, serving hot meals to the homeless with the Norman Spruill Foundation. As we were wrapping up, I noticed Cedric sitting on a bench and I took him some leftover bottled waters and offered him more food. He declined the food and I went back to continue to load up.
Something about his spirit seemed familiar. I was curious, so I went back to that bench and sparked up a conversation with him. My initial instinct was right, and we connected. I was really moved by our encounter and I expressed it this instagram post.


Since then, we have kept our promise to each other. We are both no longer live in Atlanta. Before we left, we were able to catch up over pizza and have since been staying connected through email. I understand our connection was rare, intended and timely. We don't speak often, but when we do- it's always necessary.
I'm moved by situations like this. To me, it's a blatant reminder that everyone and everything has purpose. It's hard to sum this up as a coincidence. I shared this exchange with my mother and she was inspired by it as well, so I thought I would share it on the blog. I'm a little weary, because I'm protective and I like to keep these kind of experiences close to my heart. On the flipside, I think it's a good reminder to not be so caught up in our own world. Especially, living in a big city- it's easy to overlook or write off a stranger. It's also easy to smile or show genuine interest in someone else's well being. Not to be so kumbaya, but we need each other. We're all made from the same grains and we are all out here trying to figure it out the best way we know how.  

September 23, 2014 3:32am
To: Cedric 
From: Ebony

You were set aside,  
At that specific bench,
At that specific time.
To remind me of life,
To be a guide
A sign
Aligned with higher power,

For hours,
We spoke
We joked
We finished each other's sentences
We were so present.
We felt the universe's presence.

I unknowingly quoted you grandmother.
You challenged my my mind to wander.
We knew we were something great,
One day to become even greater,
Reminding each other of our greatness.
Homeless,
You were,
in a literal sense.
Homeless,
we were
in a figurative sense.
22 years old,
You were.
Dreams and life in tote
One duffle bag full of hope
You were
Such a hope
Traveling the streets of Atlanta
With only Spirit as a compass
Determined to fight odds
Determined to stay odd
You did,
And you are,
still..
A star
In my night.
A rainbow
In my cloud.

I love you.

I hope you still feel my love

When it's cold.

My brother,
I hope you still feel the love I send you. 


September 26, 2014  3:00pm
To: Ebony
From: Cedric

OUR SPIRITS CONNECT
Through YOUR LIFE god sent Me a message
'An Invisible Individual' 2 the world in this land
Going all day without a goal or a plan
You came over, and wanted to understand,
why the world saw me as a bum, when you saw me as a man,
I'm scared because your spirit comes at times I want to give ( give up )
showing love wen I'm alone tellin me its time 2 Live
Its a feeling that I can't Explain
Physical High so I can't complain
Comes Around wen I go thru pain
want U 2 know I Feel your Love
n don't want it to change
I don't want it 2 go
I'm used to being cold,...
But, I love you
you motivate me
to continue
you make me work hard
2 chase Dreams n make em come true
When our spirits connect


November 22, 2014 7:17pm
To: Ebony
From: Cedric


just thinking about you, questioning to myself why you took the time to care about me in a world where everyone is so cold...why do you show love? its nice , id like to be around more peaceful people n loving n caring ppl n a better environment.. is there any advice that you wouldn't mind sharing with me?

November 23, 2014
To: Cedric
From: Ebony

Hey Cedric, I'm not sure if I can offer advice. I just know God is love and I strive to be that, too. 
I guess if I could give you any advice it would be to not let the world or hard times harden your heart. I always remind myself to stay soft. Not in a weak way, but in a way that allows my heart to stay open. I've been realizing that's nothing is really real and we are all out here trying to figure it out in our special way. You know? 
I can tell from the stories we shared that you are guided by The Spirit and I admire that. You're tough and resilient, and you should stay true to that. Try not to be angry or anxious about anything and trust your struggle because ev.ery.thing that is happening (no matter how harsh) is all apart of the bigger picture. And ev.ery.thing will eventually be ok. 
As I'm writing this, I'm talking to myself, too. 
Just don't give up, brother.. and don't be your own enemy.. and search for the good/God in everything & everyone. 
In the famous words of Tupac, "Keep ya head up!" :)


No comments:

Post a Comment